Sunday, April 1, 2007

Yarn Harlot appearance


Knitters Unite
Originally uploaded by CreativeExile.
Having heard from Kim of her experience at this event last time (overflow room, faulty A/V equipment, etc.) I had suggest to Karen D that we get there as early as noon for Stephanie's 2:00 p.m. appearance.

When we (I'll include Amanda here too -- she of the almost-closed eyes -- she had knitting with her as well, you just can't see it on her lap) got to the Ann Arbor District Library just after noon, the room was already half full. Whew, I thought Karen and Amanda would think I was nuts wanting to get there so early. Who knew what an incredibly loooong day we were in for?!

Not as long as Stephanie's, though. Hers started at 3:00 a.m., almost landed her in Detroit on time, re-routed her (thanks to our fog) to Chicago, then didn't get her back to Detroit until after 3:00 p.m. I hope she got that -- make that MANY -- frosty adult beverages to make up for her travel day from hell.

I was due home at 5:00 p.m. so that E could get to his folks and help his mom out (my FIL is in home hospice care now, and she needs help moving him) before heading to the Sunday night tennis league he runs. Karen suggested that E bring the kids out (she wanted to meet Ben) and E actually managed it -- with only one frantic phone conversation about how he was "feeding Ben and getting Tess ready and trying. to. get. out. the. door."

Welcome to my world! Of course, I couldn't say that, 'cos it would have been bye-bye, Yarn Harlot, bye-bye, AADL, hello Dexter. After we made the exchange in the parking lot (cars and kids), Ben slept in his stroller for the next half-hour and woke only slightly confused and grumpy. After a several hugs and kisses from me and sis, and a bit of looking around while in Karen's and Amanda's arms, he was his usual sunny, flirty self. We'll see if Steph's photos show me holding him up with his bright-red hat on...


Jackal
Originally uploaded by CreativeExile.

Stephanie further made my afternoon by allowing those of us with babies -- outside or inside of our bodies -- to go first. I only feel bad that Karen didn't take advantage of our front-of-the-line status (Amanda had some plane woes of her own and Steph offered move-ahead privileges to anyone else with special concerns, so she came with me) and get her book signed. Perhaps we can right that somehow.

Loooong day, and such a busy weekend. I'm sure you're all falling over from my multiple posts. I'm working on that.

No comments: